Friday, November 20, 2009

Pacquiao Parade

Traffic along the streets of Espana and Quiapo on top of the scorching heat knocked me out as I made my way to Pedro Gil awhile ago. Thousands of Pacquiao's eager followers filled the streets to show their applause for the Filipino boxing sensation whose latest conquest of Miguel Cotto earned him a niche in history with seven world titles to his name in as many weight divisions. Pretty awesome!

Students and employees went out of their offices to compliment the champ. While some of the employees were overenthusiastic, I heard a shout from one of the Paulinians. The girl yelled "Babaero ka Manny!" Given how popular he is, he can't really escape from detractors focusing on his personal life. But we can't deny, he is a modern hero in the country today.

Pacquiao was seen surrounded by his security staff while riding at the back of a white pickup, which was draped with Philippine flags. He was with his wife and other people that I am not familiar with. I easily recognized ex-mayor Lito Atienza by his colorful polo shirt as always. But when Manny turned around, my eyes twinkled. I was hurriedly walking to meet my friend in Rob Manila when I just stopped and to take a picture of that moment. I don't always see celebrities. I don't recognize them most of the time when I roam around. That's probably how they describe the feeling of being startrucked.





He is the only septuple world champion in boxing history. Manny is the first boxer to win seven world titles in seven different weight divisions. In addition, he is the only boxer to win the lineal championship ("the man who beat the man") in four different weight classes. Aside from being a boxer, he has participated in politics, acting, filmmaking, and music recording. He really deserved this kind of hero's welcome. Amazing!

0 comments: